The Sailor's Home

Situated in St Mary's Road, the Sailor's Home was a small, very cosy (if rather spartan) pub that had a strong and loyal band of regulars for most of its life.

One of the big questions relating to this pub concerns its name - why "The Sailor's Home" in the middle of land-locked Surrey? We know the answer to that as a result of considerable research, but we're saving the answer for the book we are working on - sorry! . 

Currently all that remains on the building to show its origins are the 'sign bracket' and a modern ceramic name plate bearing the words "Sailors Inn"...This photograph, taken in the 1930s, shows one of the 'pub outings' that seem to have been a regular feature in the life of the pub. The only other photograph we have of the pub also shows an outing - this time by horse-drawn vehicle - and dates from around the turn of the twentieth century. Unfortunately we cannot currently post a copy of this on the website due to copyright restrictions which we are hoping to overcome in the near future. 

The Sailor's Home ceased life as a pub in 1959 when the then landlord, Walter ("Wally") Roper, took over the tenancy of The Prince of Wales in Anderson Road, being granted a "Spirits Licence" in February 1960 which he knew would never be issued to "The Sailors".

The property was acquired in the early 1960s by an architect named "Robbie" Robson-Smith who transformed it into a very swish family home..

If anybody has any information or photographs relating to the Sailor's Home - or any of the other pubs in the village - then please get in touch with our Research Coordinator using the contact form...