The two versions of Oatlands House

The most obvious and well known "Oatlands House" was the mansion, but there was another one...

J B Wood - Grocer

The property, at the corner of St Mary's Road and Oatlands Drive opposite the Flint Gate (now The Alexander), first appeared as a grocer's shop in the 1861 census in the hands of Thomas Beaty. The 1871 census shows Jesse Cleveland, who lists his occupation as "Grocer and Registrar of Marriages" and by 1881 it had changed hands again and was occupied by Alfred F Harridge.

At some time between the 1881 and 1891 censuses, grocer Joseph Belsey Wood acquired the building and, seeing an opportunity to add a little extra, renamed his premises "Oatlands House" - after the mansion had became a hotel the name was no longer being used.

The property remained as J B Wood grocers until at least 1918. Some time later the business passed to the Barnes family, Alfred Barnes had been an assistant to Joseph Wood in tn the 1901 census. The shop was sold to the Furniss family in the 1960s and they continued as a grocers until the 1970s when its more than 100 years in that role came to an end when it passed to the present owners, Weybridge Guns and Tackle.